Comedy legend Su Pollard lined up for Christmas panto treat at Aylesbury Waterside Theatre
Comedy legend Su Pollard will star in Aylesbury Waterside Theatre’s Christmas pantomime later this year, it has been announced.
The Hi-de-Hi actress will play the wicked queen in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and is looking forward to performing in Bucks in December. She said: “Brace yourselves, Aylesbury! I love panto, and can’t wait to whip you all up into a festive frenzy.”
Friday Night is Music Night salutes the Forces Sweethearts of the Second World War on the occasion of Dame Vera Lynn’s 100th birthday.
This week we have been celebrating the 100th birthday of the East Ham girl whose name became synonymous with the phrase “Forces Sweetheart” – Dame Vera Lynn.
The BBC Concert Orchestra conducted by Richard Balcombe perform Bridge on the River Kwai (Malcolm Arnold); the Spitfire Prelude and Fugue (William Walton) and the Dambusters March (Eric Coates). Our singing guests are Mary Carewe, Lucy Williamson, the Puppini Sisters and making a guest appearance and recalling memories of Gracie Fields – Su Pollard. The presenter is Ken Bruce.
Concert recorded 17th January 2017 at the Mermaid Theatre in London.
• Listen to the show at BBC iPlayer for the next month. Su performs The Thing-Ummy-Job with the BBC Concert Orchestra.
A screen cap from Su’s guest appearance on Lorraine last Thursday morning. View a photo of Su and guest-host Fearne Cotton at Instagram. A montage of Lorraine’s Best Bits, including Su, has been uploaded to Lorraine‘s You Tube channel. Click below to watch.
Yes, we know it feels like last year’s panto has only just finished! Press reports on Su’s panto for Christmas 2017 are already being published, and here are just a few:
• Bucks Herald: Hi De Hi! Su Pollard will star as the Wicked Queen in this year’s Aylesbury Waterside panto: Su Pollard, will be playing this year’s booable baddie, the Wicked Queen, in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Fri 8 – Sun 31 Dec. A legend within the showbiz industry with over four decades of experience under her belt and a huge wealth of starring roles on stage and TV – Continue reading…
• Mix 96: Su Pollard wants to be ‘fairest of them all’: Comedian and actress Su Pollard will be playing the role of the Wicked Queen in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at the Aylesbury Waterside Theatre this Christmas. The showbiz legend has over 4 decades of experience, and is best known for her roles in roles in the sitcoms Hi-de-Hi!, You Rang, M’Lord? and Oh, Doctor Beeching!, amongst many others – Continue reading…
• Buckingham and Winslow Advertiser: Hi De Hi! Su Pollard will star as the Wicked Queen in this year’s Aylesbury Waterside panto: With further casting to be announced, panto fans are urged to grab their shovel and their pick and book now for this year’s magical family pantomime – Visit www.atgtickets.com/Aylesbury.
• Su Talks Panto: Su said she was looking forward to coming to Bucks. She said: “Brace yourselves Aylesbury! I love panto, and can’t wait to whip you all up into a festive frenzy. It may only be spring but I’m expecting you to practise your boos and polish up your hisses – I like audiences loud and proud, it’s going to be wicked!”
Su guested on Jo Good’s BBC Radio London show on Thursday – Chatting about participating in the forthcoming Vera Lynn Tribute concert, and much more – including, looking good, past adventures with Jo, her one-woman-show and the possible return of Peggy Ollerenshaw.
Su Pollard and The Barking Hour: Actress Su Pollard chats about ‘100: A Tribute To Dame Vera Lynn’.
• Listen to the show at BBC iPlayer for the next month. Su’s interview begins approximately 11 minutes into the show and runs for around 15 minutes.
Rehearsals are underway for the big night! The fabulous Su Pollard in rehearsals with Rhys Harding, Josh Baker, Bradley Salter and Louis Clarke-Clare from Birds College. Afternoon of fun with Su, loving her number with the boys. watch out for Su on’ Lorraine’ on the 16th March! For tickets seetickets.com. Dame Vera Lynn 100th birthday celebration London Palladium, March 18th, curtain up 7.30.
For One Night Only!! … Heidi Honeycomb is… Back!‘Singing In The Drain’, the episode of Gimme Gimme Gimme with Su as special guest star is repeated on GOLD later this month. This originally aired on BBC1 in December 2001.
Gimme Gimme Gimme: GOLD: Monday 20th March: 10.20pm Singing in the Drain. Series 3, Episode 5. Kathy Burke in the in-your-face comedy with the hapless flatmates with every personality flaw going. Linda finally realises her ambition to become a model.Starring: Kathy Burke, James Dreyfus, Brian Bovell, Beth Goddard, Su Pollard, and Jonathan Harvey.
… Sings The Beatles: BBC4: Friday 3rd March: 11pm … Sings The Beatles: BBC4: Saturday 4th March: 2.35am
Recorded for the 40th anniversary of Abbey Road, the Beatles’ final album, a journey through the classic and curious covers in the BBC archives. Featuring Sandie Shaw singing a sassy Day Tripper, Shirley Bassey belting out Something, a close-harmony Carpenters cover of Help!, Joe Cocker’s chart-topping With A Little Help From My Friends, Oasis reinventing the Walrus and a little Lady Madonna from Macca himself. Plus, a few ‘magical’ moments from Candy Flip, the Korean Kittens and Su Pollard.
Above: Screen captures of Su performing ‘Back In The USSR’. Originally from The Laughter Show in 1984, Please click here to view larger versions of the screen caps.
The Assembly Hall Theatre’s panto, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, raises thousands for the Hospice in the Weald
Generous panto punters raised more than £7,000 for a local charity during the Christmas and New Year run in Tunbridge Wells. The funds were raised for the Pembury-based Heart of Kent Hospice at performances of the Assembly Hall Theatre panto Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, which starred Su Pollard of 80s sitcom Hi-de-Hi!
The annual collection came to £7,320.61, raised from bucket collections at the end of each performance during the three-week run.
The hospice provides compassionate, individual, holistic and supportive care for patients with a terminal illness, their families, and carers in west Kent and East Sussex. The money raised could pay for pre or post-bereavement counselling sessions for 20 patients or family members who are seeking additional support.
Beth Swarbrigg, from the hospice, said: “The theatre has been supporting Hospice in the Weald for over 18 years and we are delighted that once again the theatre has chosen the Hospice to benefit from their annual pantomime collection.